leads. Install thermal
protector housing on motor and secure with screws
and washers previously removed.
a. Evaporator Fan Motor. Install evaporator fan
motor as follows:
( 1 ) Set motor on fan and motor base with
motor shaft in fan and motor shaft (fig. 4-11).
Install four cap screws and lock washers through
underside of base to secure motor. Tighten setscrew
in fan and motor shaft.
(2) Install fan and motor assembly on resilient
mounts and install four screws and lock washers
(fig. 4-1 1).
(3) Install brackets above fan. Install tem-
perature selector switch bulb in clamps and secure
clamps with screws and lock washers.
(4) Refer to paragraph 4-25 and install
evaporator drain piping.
Section XIII. MAINTENANCE OF FAN
4-41. Fan Motor Speed Control Switches
a. General. The evaporator fan motor speed
control switch is a toggle switch which is part of the
control module. Replacement instructions for this
switch are included with the control module. The
condenser fan motor speed control thermostatic
switch, located on the rear wall of the housing,
automatically controls the fan motor speed. The
switch is normally open and closes on temperature
rise between 95° F and 105° F. When the switch
contacts close the condenser fan relay coil is
energized and the relay shifts the fan motor circuit
from low-speed to high-speed.
b. Testing. Test the switch and connector
assembly in the air conditioner as follows:
( 1 ) Refer to paragraph 4-21 and remove rear
(2) Disconnect electrical connector located just
(5) Connect motor electrical connector.
(6) Refer to paragraph 4-18 and install
evaporator air inlet louver.
b. Condenser Fan Motor. Assemble motor on
mounting plate and install motor and mounting
plate as follows:
( 1 ) Refer to figure 4-13 and install bushings
(8) in mounting plate (9) if they were removed.
(2) Place a washer (7) over each bushing and
set motor (6) on washers. Install four screws (3),
washers (5), and lock washers (4). Install collar (2)
on motor shaft and install setscrew (1).
(3) Install plate and motor in air conditioner
and slide fan impeller (fig. 4-1 2) on motor shaft.
Install four screws and flat washers.
(4) Connect motor electrical connector.
(5) Refer to paragraph 4-21 and install
MOTOR SWITCHES AND CAPACITORS
below condenser motor electrical connector (fig. 4-
(3) Check for continuity between terminals of
connector. There should be no continuity between
terminals when temperature is below 95° F. If a
source of heated air is available, check for closing of
contacts and continuity between terminals at 95° F
(4) If switch and connector assembly do not
damaged wiring or replace switch.
c. Removal. With top cover removed and
electrical connector disconnected,
( 1 ) Refer to figure 4-15 and remove two screws
and lock washers. Remove switch and connector
(2) Disconnect switch Ieads from connector.