(1) Refer to figure 4-5 and install pressure gages with R-22 refrigerant cylinder in an upright position.
(2) Start the air conditioner by turning the selector switch to "COOL" position.
(3) Turn the thermostat control knob counter clockwise to its limit.
(4) Open charging cylinder outlet valve about two turns.
(5) Open the suction pressure service valve slowly while observing the sight glass. When the bubbles
disappear and the sight glass becomes clear, close the suction service valve.
(6) Allow the air conditioner to continue to run for 10 minutes. If bubbles reappear, add refrigerant until
bubbles disappear again. Continue this cycle until no more bubbles appear. Add refrigerant a little at a time so that the
system is not overcharged.
(7) When sight glass remains clear, turn selector switch to "OFF".
(8) Refer to figure 4-5 and remove manifold, gages and charging cylinder.
Disconnect the air conditioner from the electrical power source before performing
maintenance on the pressure switches.
a. Pressure Control Switch S8.
(a) Turn the selector switch to the "OFF" position and disconnect the air conditioner from the electrical
(b) Refer to figure 4-2 and release refrigerant from the system.
(c) Refer to figure 3-13 and disconnect plug P4 from behind the junction box.
(d) Refer to figure 3-4 and remove the condenser fan.
(e) (Model TM-9KV-208-3-60 only) Refer to figure 4-6 and remove the pressure control switch by holding
the switch and loosening the flare nut at the base of the switch. It is not necessary to remove the electrical leads from the
wire bundle unless the switch is to be replaced.
(f) (Model F9000T3-2 only) Switch S8 is located behind switches S5 and S6; see figure 4-7 and remove
S5 and S6 in accordance with removal steps 1 through 4. Remove two screws and washers and pull switch S8 out of
switch box. Tag and disconnect wire leads if switch S8 is to be replaced. Loosen flare nut at end of capillary line and
remove from tubing connection point.
(2) Test. Refer to figure 4-6 and test the pressure control switch S8.
(3) Replace. Replace pressure control switch S8 if damage would impair serviceability or if failure occurs
Change 1 4-17