The liquid quench expansion valve is factory set at a superheat of 16 ±½º F (8.9 ± 0.3°C) at 32°F (0°C)
bath temperature. Do not attempt field adjustment of this valve. If it is suspected bad replace it.
a. Removal. (See figure 5-8.)
Figure 5-8. Expansion Valve (Quench)
(1) Disconnect power at power source.
(2) Remove the top rear cover.
(3) Discharge and purge the refrigeration system per paragraphs 5-9 and 5-10.
(4) Unwrap the insulation from the joints of the expansion valve.
(5) Soften the thermal mastic in the bulb well. Use a cloth wrung out in hot water, a heat lamp or heat gun
if necessary and withdraw the bulb from the well.
(6) Debraze the two tube connections to the valve. If the flush bushing is to be reused, remove it from the
(7) Remove the two screws, post spacers, brackets and lock nuts.
(8) Remove the valve from the unit.
(1) Install the flush bushing in the valve.