d. Repair or Replacement. All repairs other than tightening of screw joints will require disassembly and replacement
of some parts. When the half couplings are disassembled for any reason, the O-rings and gaskets should be replaced.
Figure 4-70. Male Coupling Half
(1) Discharge the refrigerant system. (See paragraph 4-5.)
(2) Using wrench, carefully disconnect the suction and discharge condenser to evaporator refrigerant metal hose
line connectors from the coupling halves. (See figure 4-67.)
(3) Using wrench, remove the jam nut.
(4) Carefully spring the tubing back enough to gain access to the hexes on the body and tubing adapter.
(5) Use two wrenches. Using one wrench to hold the tubing adapter, carefully remove the valve body. Carefully
spring tubing back enough to remove the half coupling body, the poppet valve assembly, the O-ring, and the gasket seal.
(6) Inspect the tubing adapter for cracks and damaged threads. If defective, note position of tubing adapter and
hex. Debraze the tubing adapter in accordance with instructions in paragraph 4-7.
(1) If the tubing adapter was removed, braze a new one in place in original position in accordance with
instructions in paragraph 4-7.
(2) Oil O-ring liberally with refrigerant oil, item 13, Appendix E. This will prevent it from scuffing and tearing when
coupling body is threaded into adapter.
(3) Place O-ring on tubing adapter.
(4) Insert poppet valve assembly into body.
(5) Carefully engage the threads of the body and tubing adapter.
|Integrated Publishing, Inc.|