b. Coil replacement. The coil can be replaced without opening the refrigeration pressure system.
Figure 4-73. Solenoid Valve Coil Removal
Do not attempt any disassembly of the solenoid valve other than coil removal with
a refrigerant charge in the system. Refrigerant will be sprayed out dangerously if
the screws that attach the tube and plunger assembly to the valve body are
(1) Disconnect the two leads at the disconnect splices.
(2) Using wrench, remove the top nut that attaches the coil to the valve body.
(3) Lift the coil assembly and data plate from the body tube and plunger assembly.
(4) If the grommet is to be reused, remove it from the coil assembly.
Installation of replacement coil
(1) Remove and discard grommet supplied with coil.
(2) Install replacement grommet.
(3) Cut solenoid valve coil leads to 6.00 ± 0.25 inches (15.24 ± 0.63 cm) long.
(4) Install quick disconnect terminal lugs on end of both leads.
(5) Slip the coil assembly and data plate on to the body tube and plunger assembly.
|Integrated Publishing, Inc.|