(6) Leak test all newly connected joints and all tube connections in the area.
(7) Install the top rear cover.
(8) Evacuate and charge the refrigeration system in accordance with paragraphs 5-13 and 5-14.
element, and related parts, and the electrical connector are attached to the canister externally and may be
replaced without opening the refrigeration pressure system.
a. Access. The compressor is located in the rear compartment.
Disconnect input power to the air conditioner before performing any maintenance to the electrical
system. Voltages used can be lethal. Shutting the unit off at the control module does not disconnect
power to the compressor heater.
(1) Disconnect input power at its source.
(2) Remove the top rear cover.
b. Inspect/Test. Electrically test the heater element, heater thermostat, wiring harness, and motor as
(1) Disconnect wiring harness at connectors P1O and J10 (located on the compressor junction box).
(2) Remove the compressor junction box cover.
(3) Inspect the internal wiring in the compressor junction box to ensure no wires are broken or grounded.
(4) Use a continuity tester or multimeter set on the lowest OHMS scale to check for continuity between
pins G and F in connector J10. If there is no continuity between these pins, the heater is bad and should be
(5) Check continuity between pins D and E, if there is no continuity between these pins and the
compressor has had time to cool down, the overload is bad.
(6) Check continuity between pins A and B, B and C, and A and C. There should be continuity between
each pair of pins. If there is no continuity the compressor is bad.
(7) Check continuity between pins A, B and C and the compressor body. No continuity should exist. If
continuity exists the compressor is bad.
(8) Inspect the J10 connector for loose, broken or otherwise damaged pins or threaded connections.
Replace if bad.
c. Heater replacement. (Refrigerant system discharge is not required.)
(1) Assuming that the power has been disconnected at the power source and covers have been removed
during access and testing proceed as follows:
(2) Tag and disconnect heater leads.
(3) Pull the heater from the mounting tube clip.