AIR CONDITIONER, HORIZONTAL, COMPACT
COMPRESSOR RUN CAPACITOR C4 INSPECTION, TESTING, AND REPLACEMENT
Refrigeration Unit Service Tool Kit, WP 0000 00, Item
Remove Top Rear Panel (WP 0019 00)
BOTTOM PANEL (REF)
Ground ALL capacitors before touching
Check all capacitors for general condition and loose, broken, or damaged terminals.
The ohmmeter test does not show the behavior of a capacitor under load. Such testing
requires special equipment, which is not economically practical for testing small
capacitors. Replace the capacitor if breakdown under load is suspected.
1. Use a screwdriver with an insulated handle to discharge the capacitor.
2. Tag and disconnect ALL wire leads.
3. Use a multimeter set to read high resistance. Place the meter leads on terminals of the capacitor.
4. If the capacitor is good, the multimeter needle should move rapidly toward the low end of the scale, then slowly
return to infinity. If the needle moves to zero and remains steady, the capacitor is internally short-circuited. If the
needle does not move, the capacitor has an open circuit If a capacitor indicates a short circuit, an open circuit, or
other damage, replace the capacitor.
5. See WP 0028 00, Wiring Diagram. Connect ALL wire leads and remove tags.